The Annual Fjordin Crossin celebrates one of the traditions of Aquavit, which is an old world Scandinavian spirit. In 1805 a special brand of Aquavit, Linie Aquavit, crossed the Equator from Norway bound for the East Indies to be sold, but returned to Norway in 1807, unsold. It turned out that the sea voyage had a positive effect on the taste of the Aquavit. The old sailing ships have vanished, but Linie Aquavit still crosses the Equator on the deck of a ship and returns via Australia. It has become a celebrated Aquavit tradition.
Each June the Hardware Distillery launches a barrel of aged Dill Aquavit on Lee Geist’s boat, the Twanoh. It will cross the Hood Canal from the Port of Hoodsport to Tahuya and back. Just as the constant gentle rolling of the barrels and the sea air enhance the flavor of Linie Aquavit, each mouthful of the aged Hardware Distillery’s Dill Aquavit will contain memories of its Fjord voyage.
To celebrate the launch, Paddle the Canal follows the Twanoh in canoes, kayaks, SUPs and small sailboats.
***Bring your own boat or rent from Hood Canal Adventures. The Paddle has partnereed with local kayak company to offer same day kayak rentals onsite. Cost for kayak rental is $45 per person for 2 hours. ($20 per hour additional hour if you want to play longer.) HCA is bringing tandems and singles.***
2019 Fjordin Crossin Schedule | June 29
• Registration for Paddle the Canal on site. Registration for the Paddle is open to all ages and skill levels. To sign up for the paddle, register at hoodcanalevents.com ($29/person).
• Lady Alderbrook departs from Alderbrook for spectator cruise. If a cruise to view the launch of the Twanoh and the Paddle is preferred, the stately Lady Alderbrook departs the Alderbrook Resort, and sail to the Port of Hoodsport. She has Hardware Distillery Dill Aquavit to toast and cheer the launch. alderbrookresort.com
• Food vendors at the Hoodsport Marina open. Local oysters and Scandinavian specialties are on the menu.
• Hoodsport Street Fair – art at the Hardware Distillery, Sunshine Creations, M4 Realty, and more!
• Aquavit Procession from the Hardware Distillery begins featuring the Sons of Norway carrying the barrel with owners Chuck and Jan. Captain Lee Geist and his boat the Twanoh will set sail and officially cross the Canal "Fjordin."
• Paddle the Canal Challenge official start to participants follow the Twanoh.
• Those on board the Lady Alderbrook toast the festivities with an aquavit drink!
2:00 PM (approximately):
When the boats return the celebration continues with food, activities for children and the Paddle the Canal award ceremony.
• Twanoh returns to the Hoodsport Marina with the Paddle the Canal participants.
• Awards ceremony and prizes for Paddle the Canal challenge.
2:30 – 5:00 PM
•"Efterfest" aka the Swedish word for "After Party" at the Distillery where Chuck will be bottling the Aquavit and offer complimentary samples to taste. Cocktails for purchase will be available.
• Cooking demos at Olympic Stove & Spa.
• Street Fair contines with local stores open.
Fjordin Crossin is a community event orgamnized by The Hardware Distillery and Hood Canal Events with the support of Columbia Bank (Hoodsport Branch); Captain Lee Geist, Twanoh (34' cabin cruiser docked at the Alderbrook Resort), offering chartered cruises daily; Explore Hood Canal; Hood Canal Salmon Enhancement Group; and Dr. Brian Oleson DDS. It is made possuible with the help of Hoodsport's Kiwinas Club, Hoodsport Timberland Library, Port of Hoodsport, George Stenberg Photography and the Sons of Norway. Jeff Slakey of iFiberOne is once again the MC for the event.
Please park at Columbia Bank and enjoy the walk through the street fair booths! Do not park at the IGA store lot. If you are bringing a boat to launch at the Paddle, please unload your boat and then park in one of the designated spaces.